Art. 1 – Purpose of the Competition
TABU Spa, located in Cantù, reference company at international level in the dyeing of natural wood and technology of multilaminar wood, organizes and promotes the 4th edition of the Design Contest IDEASxWOOD 2021/2022, aimed at the design of geometric, organic or combined decorations according to one of the following methods:
- multilaminar wood veneers (650 x 3100 mm) for the furniture industry and the wall coverings for interiors;
- industrial inlays both on dyed natural veneers and on multilaminar wood veneers – or freely assemblable – for the production of panels (1260 x 3060 mm, ex. Burls and Graffiti Collection by Tabu), for the furniture industry and the wall coverings for interiors;
- three-dimensional surfaces made with the technique of the embossed relief or the bas-relief for the production of panels (1250 x 2500/3000 mm, ex. Groovy Collection by Tabu) for the furniture industry and the wall coverings for interiors;
- surfaces for state-of-the-art boiserie carried out in sheets (620 x 3000 mm, ex. SKEENS Collection by Tabu Boiserie).
- wooden floors, carried out in slats or with other free geometric shapes.
Each idea must be uploaded within a PROJECT AREA (ticked on presenting in the reserved area of the website www.ideasxwood.it):
- AREA 1: RESIDENTIAL – Designing of surfaces of furniture/environments (living zone, sleeping area, kitchen).
- AREA 2: YACHT– Designing of surfaces of furniture/ environments for yachts and cruise ships
- AREA 3: HO.RE.CA. – Designing of surfaces of HOSPITALITY furniture/ environments (hotellerie-restaurant-café).
- AREA 4: WELLNESS – Designing of surfaces of furniture/ environments for spas and resorts.
- AREA 5: RETAIL – Designing of surfaces for furniture and interiors of shops, boutiques, retails
- AREA 6: MOBILITY – Designing of surfaces for interiors of automotive, aviation and high speed sectors
The submitted solutions shall be original. Furthermore, they shall be aimed at enhancing the company’s work. The aesthetic quality of the presentation and considerations about the technical feasibility of the project will be positively evaluated. The indication of at least one wood species/veneer certified as per the FSC® list (see link to the document) and the attention to the re-use of the wood and to the optimization of its use in the production processes will also be positively evaluated.
Art. 2 – Terms of Participation in the Competition
The participation in the competition is open to:
- Professionals Category: all Italian and foreign designers (a specific qualification or diploma/degree is not required) under the age of 40 at the time of application. All those who, on the date of the registration to the competition, are not enrolled in Schools, Institutes or Academies and work in the field of design, interior design or industrial design must be considered in the Professionals category.
- Students Category: all Italian and foreign students of the Universities of Architecture and Engineering, Design Schools and Institutes and Fine Arts Academies.
For both categories, it is allowed to participate as individual or in a group. In the case of group participation, it will be necessary to appoint a group leader, who will be the sole responsible and contact person for the project. Each participant of the group will be asked to fill in the Annex A with personal data, signature of explicit acceptance of the Announcement, indication of the members of the group and name of the group leader.
For all members of the group is valid the age limit. If a group includes both students and professionals, the group will fall into the Professionals Category. Each participant, as individual as well as group, is permitted to submit up to a maximum of 2 projects, freely chosen from the 4 points of the Purpose, Art. 1 of the Announcement.
Upon free registration, participants accept unconditionally the terms of this competition contained herein. If the terms are not, in whole or in part, respected, the design and the participants may be disqualified. The members of the Jury, their relatives, the employees of Tabu Spa and their relatives may not take part.
Participants should periodically visit the website www.ideasxwood.it and the Facebook page www.facebook.com/ideasxwood to check for any further notifications relevant to the procedure.
Art. 3 – Application of Participation
The application of participation in the competition, both for individual participants and for each member of a group, must be made as follows:
- filling in Annex A in all its parts
- uploading Annex A to the personal page of the Reserved Area. In the case of Groups, the Group Leader enters the names and uploads Annex A of each member to its personal page).
Art. 4 – Official Languages
The languages admitted for the application of participation and the project descriptions are Italian and English.
Art. 5 – Required documents
Each participant of the contest, as individual as well as group, can upload up to a maximum of 2 projects to the Reserved Area of the website www.ideasxwood.it (wood surfaces), and 2 projects to the Reserved Area of Carpanelli Award (furniture).
For Groups, the project(s) must be uploaded to the personal page of the Group Leader. No personal data and signatures should appear in clear text on the projects, under penalty of disqualification from the competition. All the technical tables belonging to a project must be anonymous, the document with the general description (Annex B) shall show only the Category and the title of the project.
The projects must be delivered complete with the notes and technical details on what is necessary for the eventual production of the project and must be uploaded to the dedicated section of the competition’s website no later than the deadline indicated in Article 7.
Each uploaded project must be in a dedicated .zip folder, named with the USER CODE including the GRAPHIC DESIGN: formed by a maximum of 4 horizontal A3 tables (42 x 29,7 cm), as pdf.files, indicatively including:
– Tab. 1: reference scenarios and methods of use, mood board, general concept of the design in its intended use and sources of inspiration, a short report (max 1,000 characters) describing the motivations, the general concept, the characteristics of the project and foreseen materials;
– Tab. 2: technical drawings of the panels in the requested sizes, details, sections, construction drawings quoted in the appropriate scales, significant details relating the chosen materials. For the “RESIDENTIAL” project area, the decoration must be designed in micro-medium scale on a piece of furniture and if it is considered opportune, in adapted medium-macro scale on wall ;
– Tab. 3 and 4: design of the object, rendering, preview image of the project summarizing its main features (may correspond to the rendering or to another significant image): for the “RESIDENTIAL” project area, the decoration must be rendered in micro-medium scale on a piece of furniture and if it is considered opportune, in adapted medium-macro scale on wall.
The tables must be combined into a single .pdf file named “tables_title of the project” (maximum file size 10 Mb).
Art. 6 – Open Day
To let experience its working activities, Tabu will organize one or more Open Days or Webinars – on dates to be defined, which will be communicated by email to the already registered participants and announced on the website www.ideasxwood.it – open to all the participants who want to have a training session on the company, its production and strategies. On these occasions, it will be possible to ask for more information aimed at the development of the projects.
Art. 7 – Delivery Deadline and Award Ceremony
Projects must be uploaded to the appropriate section of the website www.ideasxwood.it strictly no later than May 31st, 2022 h 12 p.m. (Midday, Italian time).
During the first week of July 2022, the Award Ceremony will be held in a prestigious location in Milan.
Art. 8 – Jury
The Jury is chaired by Architect Franco Raggi and composed of architects, journalists and members of the Associations of the wood-furniture sector. The names of the jury members will be published on the Contest website. The Jury will carefully evaluate only the entries complying with the terms of this competition Announcement as indicated in Article 1. The judgements of the Jury will be unquestionable and unappealable.
Art. 9 – Information and Publication of the Results
The finalists of the competition will be officially published on the website www.ideasxwood.it immediately after the Jury’s deliberation. Tabu Spa has the right to present the initiative to the press and to communicate the results of the competition during a dedicated event, for which information will be provided in due course on the website www.ideasxwood.it and on the Facebook page of the Contest. All participants authorize the company upon acceptance of this Announcement to show their designs during public exhibitions and events and to publish them on a catalogue and on paper and online media; for this nothing will be due apart from the obligation to quote the author. The company will not be in any case responsible for the theft or loss of the works.
Art. 10 – Prizes
The total prize money will be distributed as follows:
PROFESSIONALS Category: 1° prize € 5,000.00
STUDENTS Category: 1° prize € 5,000.00
Winner of the PROJECT AREA: € 500,00
PROFESSIONALS Category Carpanelli Award: 1° prize € 3,000.00
STUDENTS Category Carpanelli Award: 1° prize € 2,000.00
The winner of the Contest, Student Category and Professional Category is selected from the winners of the 6 PROJECT AREAS to which each participant (single or group) uploads his/her own idea.
The categories within which it is possible to upload each project, following the art. 1 of the announcement, are the following:
- AREA 1: RESIDENTIAL – Designing of surfaces (art.1 of the announcement) of furniture/environments (living zone, sleeping area, kitchen).
The development of the decoration both on furniture and on floors and walls, that is, the study of the modularity on different destination surfaces will be a plus.
This designing category will be of particular interest for awarding the three Mentions Driade, FontanaArte and Valcucine, partners of the Contest.
- AREA 2: YACHT– Designing of surfaces (art.1 of the announcement) of furniture/environments for yachts and cruise ships
- AREA 3: HO.RE.CA. – Designing of surfaces (art.1 of the announcement) of HOSPITALITY furniture/ environments (hotellerie-restaurant-café).
This designing category will be of particular interest for awarding the MILANOCREA Mention, partner of the Contest operating in particular in the contract sector.
- AREA 4: WELLNESS – Designing of surfaces (art.1 of the announcement) of furniture/ environments for spas and resorts.
- AREA 5: RETAIL – Designing of surfaces (art.1 of the announcement) for furniture and interiors of shops, boutiques, retails
- AREA 6: MOBILITY – Designing of surfaces (art.1 of the announcement) for interiors of the automotive, aviation and high speed sectors
What follows will be a plus to reach the Mention:
- The use of colour palette, considered the soul of TABU company, wood dyeing, and considered the colour centrality in the 555 Collection, the largest collection in the world of natural dyed and multilaminar wood veneers organized in chromatic scale
- A transversal approach to the project as a synthesis of the sustainability values (FSC® forest certification), circularity and excellent use of the raw material (sustainability.tabu.it). The FSC® Mentions will be awarded for the works that have reserved a special attention to the values expressed by the FSC® Certification.
The Contest also includes:
- IQD Magazine Special Award: for the project featuring the best architectural vision, which will be awarded with the publication on the international architecture magazine and a one-year subscription to the magazine.
- CARPANELLI Special Award for furniture, objects or furnishing accessories to be created with the use of the Tabu surfaces from the Collections mentioned in Article 1 and available in the DOCUMENTS Area of the website www.ideasxwood.it.
The Announcement of the Carpanelli Special Award is available in the dedicated special section of the website www.ideasxwood.it.
All candidates are allowed to participate in the IDEASxWOOD Contest as per this Announcement and simultaneously in the Carpanelli Special Award, according to the dedicated Announcement.
In any case, Tabu reserves the right to produce prototypes of the projects of the competition and to eventually put them into production. In this case, the designers will be paid a royalty fee regulated by an agreement independent from this Competition Announcement.
Art. 11 – Rights and Ownership of the presented works
The authors will maintain the ownership of the presented works. The authors will grant the company the option to use the winning and mentioned projects for the duration of one year from the date of the Jury’s deliberation. Within this period, the company will evaluate whether to put them into production and, in this case, the relationship with the designer will be regulated by a separated and specific contract between him/her and Tabu Spa. The company also undertakes not to modify in any way the presented works without the approval and authorization of the designer.
Art. 12 – Acceptance of the Competition Announcement
Participation in the Competition presupposes the total acceptance of this Announcement. In accordance with articles 13 and 15 of the GDPR 2016/679, the acquired personal data will be used solely for the purposes of this announcement and of the related reports. The parties are granted the right to access their data, to request correction, integration and any other right therein. Responsible for the data processing is Tabu Spa – Cantù.
Art. 13 – Jurisdictional Protection
The Milan Court is competent to deal for any controversy concerning this announcement and the acts related and connected to the procedure of the Competition.
For further information, technical assistance or clarifications contact:
email@example.com – Tel +39 031 714493 – asking for the Competition Secretariat
Cantù, October 2021